Overshadowed has bold, ambitious plans for the future and we encourage you to become a part of the company’s continued growth. Through an internship with Overshadowed you will:
- Receive hands-on experience
- Gain valuable insight about the day-to-day work of a small theatre company
- Work closely with Overshadowed’s Artistic Director, Technical Director, Costume Designer, Stage Manager and other department heads
Learn what it takes to assemble a production team, cast a show, create a season and raise money at a thriving theatre company.
As an Artistic Administration intern, you’ll immerse yourself in various facets of producing and running a not-for-profit organization. Working closely with the Artistic Director, you’ll gain first-hand knowledge about the casting process, scheduling and organizing auditions; researching, reading and cataloging plays; and preparing for and running a production. You will also find yourself contributing to our fundraising and marketing efforts, gaining insight into the world of fundraising and grant writing, and learning how to attract and cultivate an audience base. This internship position also involves handson participation and direction of one of our two summer camps.
Costume Design Internship
The Costume Department of Overshadowed is responsible for the design and building of costumes of current shows as well as the maintenance of our costume room and the care of the wardrobe during our productions.
The duties of our intern may include any and all of the following:
- Designing, building and gathering the costumes for our summer camps
- Assisting the designer for our summer musical
- Building costumes for the summer musical
- Assisting with alterations
- Assisting with the wardrobe and dressing during the productions
- Any other duties as assigned by director and/or costume designer
- Sewing skills
- Self Motivator
- Willing to take directions
- A willing attitude to help were needed
Light and Sound Design Internship
The Technical Department is responsible for the design and operation light, sound and special effects for each production.
- Assist the technical director with creating a lighting plot
- Record and edit sound cues
- Hang and focus lighting equipment
- Learn basic programming skills
- Light board operation
- Follow-spot operation
- Basic computer skills
- Previous light and sound experience
- Willingness to learn
Scenic Carpentry Internship
The Scenic Department oversees the design, construction, installation and strike of the set. Working with the Artistic Director, production director and artistic designer the set designer and construction manager create imaginative scenes to enhance the overall production.
- Provide assistance to the construction manager
- Help with the building and installation of the set
- Any other duties as assigned by the set designer or construction manager
- Must be able to lift 50-70 lbs
- Basic knowledge of set design and construction
- Must have a good working knowledge of basic hand and power tools
- Desire to learn and develop additional skills
- Ability to work with a team
Stage and Properties Management Internship
The Properties Department is responsible for the creation and procuring of hand and stage props for the production. The Stage Manager provides assistance to the director, as well as overseeing and coordinating all backstage operations.
- Help create a property plot
- Property design and creation
- Work with the props manager to procure necessary items
- Assist the stage manager in coordinating scene changes
- Work with stage manager with oversight of stage crew
- Assist with special projects
- Set-up and maintain rehearsal space
- Basic computer skills
- Simple craft ability
- Ability to work with a team
- Effective communication skills
Overshadowed offers year-round internship opportunities. Our regular season consists of four shows — typically three plays and one musical.
- Summer Internship — May through August
Fall Internship — August through December
Winter/Spring Internship — January through April
Each internship guarantees hands-on involvement with two shows. The summer internship offers the unique opportunity to be involved with our summer musical as well as two theatre camps for students age 10-18.
Depending on your school schedule, start/end dates can be flexible. Please let us know your availability when completing your application.
The internship may qualify for college credit, as arranged with your individual college or university.
Modest stipends are available for all internships. To be eligible for a stipend, you must have a valid social security number or, if you are not a citizen of the United States, a valid U.S. work permit.
The maximum total stipend for an internship is $1000. This amount can be reduced if:
- Your internship is only part-time or half-time
- Your internship is full-time, but less than 6 weeks from start to finish
- You do not complete your internship
Stipends are paid by check and normally in two equal amounts — half at the midpoint of your internship, and half upon successful completion of your internship.
You are responsible for your own housing and transportation. We can, however, provide you with contact information for potential host families.
While the demands of interning at Overshadowed can make it difficult to hold an outside job at the same time, many interns manage to work part-time during the day. Remember — if you accept an internship, you are agreeing to work the hours dictated by your department. Any outside employment should be flexible and should accommodate your internship schedule.
How to Apply
If you are interested in applying for an internship with Overshadowed, please provide the following:
- A completed Application for Internship
- Cover letter stating your desire to be involved with our organization
- Your current resume
- Three letters of reference — two from professors or academic supervisors, and one personal or work-related reference
Mail the completed information to:
- Overshadowed Theatrical Productions
333 Pierce Road, Suite 195
Itasca, IL 60143
You will be notified upon receipt of your application. A phone interview will be scheduled. If necessary, we will make arrangements for an in-person interview at your school.
If you have any questions, or need additional information, please visit our website at: www.OvershadowedProductions.com, or call our office at 630-250-7518.
Thank you for your interest. We hope to have the opportunity to work with you to deepen your theatrical skills and experience.